Geologists have set fire to prevent releasing methane gas and then burns continuously. The diameter of the crater is 69 meters and its depth of 30 meters.
This site was discovered by Soviet engineers in 1971, and initially thought it was an oil field, which is why they conducted research to find out the amount of oil existing only have noticed that there is not oil, but gas .
Their next move was highly predictable: trying to remove gases, because neighboring towns not affected by combustion method. It is estimated that they would burn only for a few weeks, but still burning today, after more than four decades.
George Kourounis was the first explorer to set foot inside this crater.
In April 2010, the President of Turkmenistan, Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow, visited the site and ordered the crater to be closed or to take steps to limit its influence in the development of other gas in the area.
Other articles on the same theme:
- Who was Helen Duncan: "The Witch" of Winston Churchill
- The story of the last wich ( Enriqueta Martí 1913 )
- Great Blue Hole, the most impressive place in the world for diving
- What is the secret message in the Sistine Chapel painted by Michelangelo in Rome?
- Akhal Teke: probably the most beautiful horse in the world !
The above post is reprinted from materials provided by The Vintage News . Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.